Mission and History
2016/11/18

 

Mission

 

Peacetime

       

     The peacetime duties contain the five major job, “Manage, Organize, Equip, Recruit, Train” for the Armed Forces reserves. The details are the first phase of basic training for men eligible for the draft, recruitment activities for the Armed Forces, mobilization of reserve forces, management, providing services, rear echelon affairs, disaster relief, and completion of reserve forces mobilization.

 

Wartime

 

      In the war time, we aim to provide reserve forces for each battle zone to carry out the first line of coastal defense and battle-in-depth for battle zones; continue mobilization efforts and deploy the “All-out Defense Mobilization” mechanism, ensure a steady supply of military strength, support ground operations and safeguard national security.


 

 

History

 

 

      Reinforcement Headquarters of the Ministry of National Defense is an organization of military affairs with an honorable mission and history.


      Established in the Chungching City , on September 1 , 1945, the Taiwan Garrison General Headquarter has taken as its main mission of safeguarding the public security and managing mobilization. To meet the demands of times and trends, this organization had shouldered up the duties of coast patrolling, organizing and training military personnel and service , following a statement during the years between 1945 and 1964. The primary mission of this organization is to safeguard the public security and the secondary mission is to manage mobilization.

Safeguarding the Public Security  

      In August 1945, after the victory of our resistance against Japanese aggression, Taiwan and Penghu Islands were returned to their fatherland and all the people cherished it. The central administration ensured public security and sovereign right of the recovered areas of Taiwan and Penghu and dealt with military surrenders, surrounding and receiving prisoners of war, and so on. The Taiwan Garrison General Headquarter was officially established in the Chungching City and sent the chief executive Mr. Chen Yi to serve as commander-in-chief. In the spring of 1947, because the chairman of the National Government was called in winter, the Taiwan Garrison General Headquarter was re-named as Kaohsiung Fortress Commander. General Pung Meng-chi served as its commander, and the government chairman in Taiwan served as the director, who officially began to work on the Shanghai Road of Taipei.

      In early 1949, because of an important duty of putting down a rebellion and conducting a military operation, General Chen Cheng was sent to direct the Taiwan government. The title of the Taiwan Pan-Provincial Garrison General Headquarter was changed into Taiwan Provincial Garrison General Headquarter. The Chairman of the Provincial Government served as commander-in-chief, and General Peng Meng-chi as the deputy commander. In February of the same year, the original address of the Taiwan Pan-Provincial Garrison General Headquarter on the Po-Ai Road of Taipei City was subordinate to the Ministry of National Defense. In the fall of 1949, Taiwan Provincial Garrison General Headquarter was disbanded and established separately as Council of Officers of South-Eastern Military Affairs and Taiwan Provincial Security Headquarter, with General Peng Meng-chi appointed as its commander. A temporary reorganization was officially established on September 1 of the same year. In May of 1958, the central administration thoroughly enforced compactness and unified the directing organization. Taiwan Defense Headquarter, Taiwan Provincial Civil Defense Headquarter and Taiwan Guard Headquarter were merged into Taiwan Garrison General Headquarter with the Security Headquarter at the core. There were four garrison branches in the north, central, south, and east of Taiwan. Each was designed as the Regional Garrison General Headquarters and executed the duty of garrison in the designated region. Because of the need of the mission, on September 16, seventeen branch garrison directing centers were established under the Garrison General Headquarter, responsible for garrison, civilian defense, and under the martial laws directing, coordinating and enforcing in the area under control. The government adjusted the mobile system on July 5, 1964 and established the Taiwan Armed Forces Reserve Command, with the commander of the Army Control District Command directed by the same Commander-in-chief of the Taiwan Garrison General Headquarter. In addition to the military affairs, the commander was in charge of political and economic affairs, in four main tasks including garrison, public security, civil defense and mobilization.

Management of Mobilization

      The military service laws of our country was enacted on June 17 of 1933 and not carried out until March 1 of 1936. Eight military service control districts, 25 division control districts, and 56 regiment control districts were established in eight provinces: Ziangsu, Zhwjiang, Henan, Hubei, Anhui, Jiangxi, Hunan, and Shanxi. The Civil Military Training Committees were established in provinces, counties and cities, in February of 1939 for the sake of resistance against military aggression. Military Service Control Districts and Civil Military Training Committees in every province were merged as Divisional and Regimental Control Commands in June of 1936, with the nation divided again into seven military control districts, sixty divisional districts, 199 regimental control districts and their duties are to draft and train armed forces. Later, because of civilian strife, it was very difficult to draft and train military forces and each was reorganized
in 1949.

      After the recovery of Taiwan, the government set up a Division Control District in 1947, to exercise control over three minor districts: Keelung, Taichung and Tainan. And then, the above districts were disbanded and were combined into a district, controlled by the Army Control District in January 1949. Later on the original system of having a provincial chairman of a provincial chairman serve as a commander of the Army Control District was also disbanded in April. Consequently the police governor set up a location of military service, which was disbanded in August. The military service was responsible by the provincial government.
In 1951, the Ministry of National Defense set up a Mobilization Agency to restore the original Division Control District, which were divided into four districts, Taipei, Taichung, Tainan, and Taitung, based on the demands of the system of military affairs.

      In May 1952, Taipei Division Control District Command was composed of all the cadres and some soldiers from Army 56 division command, 166, 168 and 199 regiments. It controlled five Regiment Control Districts: I-Lan, Keelung, Taipei, Taoyuan and Hsinchu. In the meantime, Taichung Division Control District Command was also composed of the cadres from Army 56 corps, and 21 division command. It controlled Miaoli, Taichung, Taichung City, Changhua, Chiayi, Nanto and Yunlin. Tainan Division Control District Command was composed of the redundant personnel from Army 64, 96 and 16 regiments. It controlled Tainan, Tainan city, Kaohsiung, Pingtung and Penghu. In August of the same year, Taitung Division Control District Command was composed of main cadres from Army 8 and 50 divisions. There are Hualien and Taitung Regiment Control Districts under Taitung Division Control District, which was disbanded on Feb 1, 2000. Taipei City and Kaohsiung City Regiment Control Districts were directly controlled by Mobilization Agency of MND. Each county or city established a Regiment Control District, which focused on reserve management, political training, and mobilization.

1964-1992, mission: garrison, society security, mobilization, reserve management and reserve organization and training. 

      Ministry of National Defense disbanded Mobilization Agency on July 1, 1964, and set up Taiwan Army Control District Command, of which command-in-chief was the same as Taiwan Garrison General Headquarter. There were Mobilization Division, Reserve Management Division, Political Training Division (subordinate to Political Warfare Department), division command, and Regiment Control District, which enforced military service and mobilization in Taiwan area, and promoted reserve organization, propagation, society investigation and service. Above tasks laid the foundation of reserve mobilization, and effective battlefield management.

1992-2000, combining coast guard, garrison operation being wartime mission: 

      August 1 1992, because of abolishing mobilization for suppress the rebellion period, Taiwan Garrison General Headquarter was disbanded, and Coast Guard Command was established, including four District Coast Guard Commands, eight brigade commands, and 27 battalions. It took over coast guard mission, therefore, the military title was Taiwan Army Control District Command & Coast Guard Command. Nov. 1 of the same year, ratified by MND, Taiwan Army Control District Command was renamed as Army Control District Command, and the title was changed into Army Control District Command & Coast Guard Command, which was responsible for reserve management, mobilization, service, and coast guard of Taiwan-Penhu areas. In wartime, it also committed to operate. For the sake of abolishing martial laws and highly democratized political environment, Political Training Division was renamed as Reserve Service Division. Each Division, Regiment District set up Reserve Service Section, and changed the military staff body, but the mission and job characteristics were still unchanged. These units were supervised by political warfare executives. Nov 1 2000, with assistance organization tailored, above units were back to supervision under military staff body, and continued promoting reserve organization training, service up to now. 

2000-2002, Army Control District Command
      The legislation Yuan passed the Coast Guard Law in January 2000.Feb 1 of the same year, Army Control District and Coast Guard were separated. The coast guard units are transferred into new Coast Guard Service, Executive Yuan.. The title of Army Control District Command was recovered and the main jobs were mobilization, management, service in peacetime, and garrison, society security in wartime. Organization Law of the National Defense has been announced by president on Jan 29, 2000. Our title was revised Reserve Command of MND based on article 10 of Organization Law of the National Defense. The title would be changed on March 1, 2002, with enforcement of National Defense Law. 

2002-2004, Armed Forces Reserve Command :
      On March 1   ,2002, the name of our headquarter had been changed to "Armed Forces Reserve Command ,"whose main mission are planning and executing mobilization , management , serve , civil defense , and building the power of military reserve .At the same time , "Command of Division " had been changed to " Command of district Military Reserve ," whereas " Command of Corps" had been changed to "Command of District Military Reserve , " From April 1  , 2004 , to coordinate the high rank staff organization adjustment of " Improvement , " the branches of Department of Diplomacy had been changed to units , and Branch of Operation Planning had been changed to Branch of Training . To connect " separation of enlisted men and military reserve " of the reserved troops staffing change , we admitted eight coastal defense brigades (enrollment training ) which was transferred from Army , nine derivative battalions , seven reserve forces battalions , and training center which was transferred from Marine Corps . Twenty-one original reserve forces brigades were reorganized to four coastal defense  brigades , which will be assigned to front line , and seventeen county defense brigades .
The fifty-five original mountain operation companies were downsized to twenty-nine companies , which will keep the same mission , and five high mountain station companies .That entire plan shall be accomplished by December 31   , 2004 .   

Reserve Command 2004-2005
      During this period, small adjustments were made to the organizational structure of the Jingjin Program (Armed Forces Streamlining Program). Focus was placed on principles of simplification and standardization to improve effectiveness in accomplishing missions. The plan was executed over the 2004-2006 three-year period. Some 2005 objectives were accomplished in 2004.

      The first class command assistant units of the “mobilization department” and the “reserve management department” were merged and named “mobilization department.” The art unit was preserved. In August 2004, the mobilization department was again subordinated to the General Political Warfare Bureau. The “Armed Forces Talents Recruitment Center” was newly established and became the Reserve Command’s first class assistant unit.

2005
      In January 2006, the Reserve Command Political Warfare Office established a Public Affairs Unit, with the Military Discipline and Ethics Section subordinated to the Superintendent’s Office. The unit in charge of communication with the Congressional was moved to the Reserve Command Political Warfare Office. Each assistant unit’s secretarial resources were gathered up and reorganized as the Secretarial Management Unit. The Confidential Documents Unit and the Congressional Affairs Unit was consolidated and reorganized as the Confidential Affairs Unit. 

      The Training Division was renamed The Combat and Training Division, the Mobilization Department was renamed the Mobilization Management Department. Duties of reserve services affairs was placed under the supervision of political warfare officers. The Armed Forces Recruitment Center, in collaboration with updated regulations, was renamed The Armed Forces Recruitment Department. Every districts’ recruitment center changed their subordination to regional command. The Security Section was renamed the Military Intelligence Department. The Rear Echelon Affairs Bureau of the Armed Services Reserve Command was renamed the Rear Echelon Affairs Department.